Monday, November 11, 2013

Flag Project


November 11, 2013

FLAG PROJECT

We received this email from a member of the ward where Hayes is serving.

Hi,

My name is George Gille and I'm a member of the Overland Park 1st Ward where your son is currently serving. I am the priest quorum adviser and I'm writing to share with you some pictures and a little story about your missionary. 

The pictures are from a big service project/fund raiser we did yesterday where our Boy Scout troop was charged with installing over 1000 American flags on a hillside along the highway adjoining a shopping center as a Veteran's Day tribute. The shopping center there sponsors this display each year and it's quite a breath taking sight as you come upon it while traveling on the highway.  If I have some time this week, I may take a few more pics of the finished product to share.

For a project of this size, having too few volunteers show up would be disastrous. Our troop is rather small right now so we put the word out that we could use all the help we could get. Thankfully we had several people show up including your son and his companion as well as the Sister missionaries who are serving in our ward as well. It was awesome to have all four missionaries be a part of project. 

Elder Rollins in particular was awesome! He worked just as hard as anyone there and it was truly impressive. Unfortunately, I only had my camera out for a few minutes at the beginning and then around the end of the project (because I had to work installing the flags as well), so I'm hoping that one of the other brothers was able to capture more of the actual work with his camera. 

I have had your son and his companion in my home for dinner and I want you to know that he's a wonderful missionary. My son is a priest and is preparing for his mission and he enjoys interacting with your son. And my daughter just left in September and is currently serving her mission in Mesa, AZ and loving it. She was able to have some fun conversations with your son prior to her departure. 

I hope you enjoy the photos and this short note of gratitude for your son's service in this part of the vineyard. May the Lord bless you and your family. 

Bro. Gille


Elder Rollins isn't in many of the picture, which isn't surprising! lol He's a pill when it comes to taking his picture!
But I'm sure he loved the opportunity to spend the day doing service. :)





Sister Matta



Sister Halverstadt laughing at Hayes after he fell down the hill!








No comments:

Post a Comment